I came across another Yahoo Finance article that made me smile, 6 Extreme Ways to Go Frugal and Save. I smile because I know at least half my readers already do one or more things on this list and will question the use of the word “extreme”.
Without further ado, here’s what they consider extreme ways of saving major money:
1. Get Rid of Your Car
2. Take In a Renter or Boarder
3. Downsize Your Home
4. Change How You Use Credit Card – specifically they advocate using cash instead
5. Only Use Coupons or Go Generic
6. Dump High-Tech Toys
Mr. BFS and I won’t be a one-car household, but I know some of you are already getting by on one car. We also will never be cash only, but I also know a few of you are.
We have rented out our spare bedroom, bought an affordable home, don’t carry credit card balances forward, use some coupons and buy some generics, and shy away from some high-tech toys that will drain our accounts. Ooh – watch out – extreme Crystal is flying through.
Even though we don’t match every point on the list, I can’t help giggling just a bit. Since when is the idea of not having credit card debt extreme? Coupons? Oh, please…
So my extremely frugal readers, did any of the items on this list just blow you away?
So far, I’ve come up with these extremely frugal tips:
1. Resist the urge to bathe in champagne.
2. Do not use 100 dollar bills as a fire starter…repeat after me, “My cash is not kindling.”
3. Don’t bedazzle your cell phone cover with real diamonds.
4. Take “an island of my own” off your Christmas list.
5. Please don’t cash in your 401(k) to buy that castle you’ve been eyeing in Ireland.
6. Don’t buy a $600,000 dog.
Come on, what have I missed?