As I’ve said at Crystal Clear, I want to blog full time by 2012. To reach that goal, I need a bunch of traffic on all of my blogs. Specifically, I’m aiming for 25,000 unique visitors a month at BFS by August 2011 and need to be making $30,000 a year total by 2012. I figured the best way to keep my eye on the prize is to hit monthly targets.
Between that and the fact there seems to be major interest in the subject, I started an update around the 1st of every month of my blogging stats and income generated. I’ll also do a huge 1 year update at the beginning of every January.
Here were my goals for April 2011 followed by the results:
- Alexa Ranking: 32,500 / 32,152 (Yay!)
- Visits: 9000 / 10,664 (WOOT!!!)
- Unique Visitors: 6000 / 7510 (FANTASTIC!!!)
- Pageviews: 17,500 / 18,621 (HECK YES!!!)
- RSS subscribers: 500 / 463 (I’m super happy!)
- Twitter followers: 500 / 492 (So close!)
- Traffic breakdown: 3750 from Referring Sites (3,112 I’m still happy!), 1750 from Direct Traffic (1,468 THANK YOU!), 3000 from Search Engines (5,014 WOOT!!!), 500 from Other (1070 COOL!)
- Blogging Income: $1500 / $2156.66 (SO HAPPY!!!)
Monthly Income Breakdown
- Advertising: $2006.66
- Writing (Staff Writing and Freelance Posts): $150
As I said in My Blogging Target Number, I will blog full time as soon as I can CONSISTENTLY bring in $2500 a month or more. My husband and I agreed that “consistently” means at least 4 months in a row. Last month I brought in about $3750 and this month I brought in about $2150. So I still have a ways to go, but I am super happy with the progress!
My goals for May:
- Alexa Ranking: 31,500
- Visits: 10,000
- Unique Visitors: 7000
- Pageviews: 18,000
- RSS subscribers: 525
- Twitter followers: 525
- Traffic breakdown: 3750 from Referring Sites, 1750 from Direct Traffic, 4000 from Search Engines, 500 from Other
- Blogging Income: $1750
Any questions, comments, or advice?
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 a year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $80,000-$100,000 through blogging, a rental home, and professional pet sitting. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you). I even have all of my favorite tools on a resource page – I hope they help you too.
This all gives me the time to be with my aging family members, the flexibility to stay close with my friends and family, and it should help if we finally get pregnant too! Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!