It’s that time of year again…FINCON!!! This event started as the Financial Blogger Conference in 2011 and evolved into the Financial Content Expo. Whatever the real name, it’s nearly time for #FinCon16!!! This year it’s in San Diego, California!
This is my annual trek to network, see my financial blogging friends, and to soak up pure, unadulterated motivation. I also try to attend as cheaply as possible because, well, it’s me at a financial conference…duh. Cheap means not having a checked bag when you have to fly through anyone but Southwest. That in mind, here is my go to packing list for conferences!
FIRST – Conference Specific Items
No matter the conference, there are probably a few things you shouldn’t forget. Here are my needs for FinCon:
- Business Cards!!! I go to this conference to network. Step 1 is being memorable enough not to need business cards. BUT Step 2 is having them just in case. Especially to hand to people I want to work with soon. I generally only need 50 or so, but I take 100+ just in case. I’ve generally used Vistaprint.Here are my main ones right now – they were $20.22 total with Vistaprint and you can get them cheaper right now (my referral link should go to a current sale!):
- BFS Tote Bag – I actually had a tote made with the BFS logo on it for the first FinCon and use it exclusively every year to carry around everything. It was also from Vistaprint and cost about $15.
- Cough drops – I talk so much that these aren’t just preventative, they’re necessary.
- Printed Versions of my eBooks (2-3 each) just in case.
SECOND – Clothes
Please keep in mind that most of my clothes (other than jeans and my sweatshirt) are made of thin, light materials that are wrinkle-resistant. That helps with packing tremendously.
- Light jacket – I live in Houston and get chilly at 75 degrees and below, lol. I wear this onto the plane with me.
- Fuzzy socks – nice in cold hotel rooms and even cold hotel meetings rooms.
- Sweat shirt/sweater – Just one that I can put on over my blouses and under my leather jacket if I am completely freezing regularly…this would only be for a freak temperature drop or if the hotel is just freezing at all times.
- Tennis shoes – 1 pair for daytime wear.
- Nice shoes – 1 pair. I learned from last year that I need tennis shoes (not sandals) and a nice set of black shoes that are comfortable and will go with my classier outfits. That’s it.
- Regular socks – 5-6 pairs
- Underwear (duh)
- Bras (double duh)
- Jeans – 2-3 pairs to use during the days.
- Slacks – 1-2 pairs for days or nights when I want to look dressier without going all out.
- Blouses/shirts – 5-6 to go with jeans during the day or slacks/skirts at night.
- Dresses/Skirts/Nice outfits – 2 for the nice events like the Plutus Awards and evenings out with other bloggers.
- Hose (well, I don’t…I hate them…but classier women pack them, lol)
- Pajamas (a super big tshirt and yoga pants)
THIRD – Electronics
All of this will fit in my laptop case for sure.
- Laptop Charger
- Plug-in Mouse
- Cell Phone
- Cell Phone Charger
- Cell Phone Backup Batteries
- AAA Batteries for Mouse
- iPod if it worked anymore – My iPod Nano from 2009 is dead. But you might have one!
FOURTH – Extras
- PLANE TICKET
- DRIVER’S LICENSE
- HOTEL INFO
- Credit cards
- Insurance card
- Travel wallet for everything above.
- CHAPSTICK – I live with 70-95% humidity as the norm. The rest of the world is too dang dry for me.
- Glasses and contacts
- Contact solution
- Makeup (2 lipstains, foundation, blush, eye liner, eye shadow, and mascara)
- Hair stuff (comb and the hair cream I use to tame issues)
- Medicines (especially for stomach problems and allergies)
- I’ll use the hotel’s shampoo and soap (yay for short hair!)
- Nice but inexpensive jewelry set for my dressy outfits
- Book for the plane (will be in my laptop case)
Whew! That is it! This all fits into my carry-on bag and I leave a little room for some small swag that we get at conferences (USB drives, tshirts, squishy balls, etc).
Did I forget anything? What do you pack for conferences?
In case you are indeed interested about FinCon specifically, here are my personal recaps of all of FinCons so far: