Okay, so I’m in a weird must-cut-all-bills state of mind.
Cuts Already Made
First it was the easy cuts like finding a different electric provider like I do at the end of every contract. Then it was the harder ones. Cutting cable and switching to Ting were big leaps for us. Then we cut biweekly house keeping, which we had for 7+ years. I thought our heads may explode without our big luxuries. Now it’s become like a game. I need to get a real hobby, huh? Let’s look at this piece by piece:
Budget Cuts Made and Future Plans
- Income Taxes – $2250 Can’t change this…
- Home Mortgage – $990 Can’t change this right now either…
- Home Insurance/Property Taxes/HOA – $800 I keep fighting the good fight with the appraisal board, but this is what it is for now.
- Rent House Home Insurance/Property Taxes – $350 Diddo.
- Food – $500 Putting a pin in this for right now. Our potlucks are a main entertainment expense as well as food-heavy.
- Health Insurance – $320 This was the lowest plan I could find that had anything we needed.
- Electricity – $150 Switched to Discount Power a couple of months ago since they were at 8.9 cents per k/h. So far, so good.
- Gasoline – $150 We don’t drive excessively for fun and gas prices are at $1.83 per gallon here right now. This is as good as it gets.
- Car Insurance – $80 This is for full coverage on two vehicles…I can’t find better.
- Cell Phones – $60 Yay, Ting!
- Internet (DSL) – $55 WANT TO LOOK INTO THIS
- Lawn Care – $50 (average over the year) I’m good with this luxury.
- Water – $50 Sadly, our public utility district water company is just expensive.
- Natural Gas – $40 Only one provider.
- Life Insurance – $30 Solid price for a $250,000 policy on both of us.
- Medicines – $20 This is better when our allergies behave.
- Netflix – $10 We use this daily since we cut cable. And I cannot wait for the new season of Orange is the New Black!
- Other Entertainment – $50 We generally keep this to $30-ish for a movie night or something, so I may lower this target.
- Miscellaneous and Cash – $250 Stuff pops up and I think it’s unrealistic to think otherwise…
Next Target – Internet
Looks like the only two categories I really have a shot of changing right now are food and the internet. I am mulling over getting crazy with our food budget. This leaves the internet as my next target! Let’s see if I can find high-speed providers for less than $55 a month…
Overall, I am pretty surprised that there isn’t much more I can do. I guess once we actually, voluntarily gave up biweekly house keeping, I knew that we were towards the end of our options, lol. I literally started this post and just ran with it. I bet if I do find cheaper internet, food may be hit next…
What budget cuts are you looking into?