WARNING: I’M ATTEMPTING TO AVOID HUGE SPOILERS BUT THERE WILL BE MENTION OF THINGS
THAT HAPPENED IN SEASON 3 OF ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK!!!
I’m a huge fan of the Netflix series, Orange is the New Black. Season 3 was released last Friday, and my mind was spitting out money lessons left and right, especially when the used-panties-from-prison business started up…
Orange is the New Black Personal Finance Lessons
- Money is helpful even when you live in a mostly barter society.
- If I bought out an item completely that someone else gave me the idea for, I would give an unlimited supply to that person as a thank you. They may retaliate otherwise.
- Thinking outside the box can lead to a billion money-making ideas.
- Risking your freedom to make money seems stupid. The main character has a comparably short prison sentence, yet she decides to start a black market used panties business. Totally legal in most ways, but smuggling things out of prison is a crime.
- Risking your main source of income to make much smaller amounts on the side seems stupider. The guard smuggling out the panties should request a larger cut.
- When starting a business, pick your partners carefully.
- The prisoners in the show really do have a chance to learn job skills for their future. Ex-cons have a severe uphill battle with finding work, but they can start a small business using electrician skills, cooking skills, and even being able to think outside the box and legally sell used clothes.
- Used panties are a solid business idea. Think about it, if you can cover the cost of the panties and shipping, it’s pure profit to wear underwear, which most of us do anyway. 😉
Have you seen Orange is the New Black? Did it give you any personal finance ideas?