In July 2010, I posted my recipe for “The Best Sweet Potatoes Ever“. I’ve made them around every Thanksgiving and Christmas since then, but now everybody’s trying to be healthier than when I was in my late 20’s. Here is the revised recipe for those who are trying to avoid heart attacks and whatnot in the near future…
Revised Best Sweet Potatoes Ever!
- 3-4 medium sweet potatoes ($0.69 at Aldi’s)
- 1/3 stick of butter ($0.25 at Aldi’s) – Down from a full stick of butter in 2010
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar (about $0.30) – down from a cup of brown sugar in 2010
- 1/3 cup of orange juice (I’m rounding up to $0.20) – down from 1/2 cup of orange juice in 2010
- Total cost was about $2 or about $0.50 per serving depending on your personal serving size.
1. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of water and boil for about 20 minutes until mostly done.
2. Cool, peel potatoes, slice them into sections, and place them in an 8″ x 8″ pan.
3. Cube the 1/3 stick of butter and place evenly on top of the potatoes, sprinkle on the 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and pour the 1/3 cup of orange juice on top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the liquid looks thick and bubbly. Let them cool off a bit and enjoy!
These are soooo good!