Here were the terms:
March 2015 Shopping Ban
No extraneous spending in March 2015. This is just concentrating on March 1st through 31st.
J Money is allowing himself to spend on “Only bills, mortgages, healthcare, utilities, rent and groceries.” My definition will also include all food, not just groceries. BUT, I have to choose cheaper options than usual if I am eating out with friends or family for a pre-planned meal out, and I can’t stop for unnecessary snacks or extras like $1 drinks from McDonald’s. This isn’t an exercise in self-denial for me. I want to make sure I am still capable of conscious spending.
I was going to donate $1 to SMART Animal Rescue every time I spend/splurge unnecessarily, BUT, you’ll get to pick the charity. Just leave a comment below with what charity you think should get the cash. I’ll donate the Oopsie Pot to whichever charity gets the most comments for them (one comment per person, please).
I’m not going to simply put off buying something until April 1st. This is about consciously making the choice not to spend, not just delaying it. I know me, I can cheat on myself, so this is how I will ensure I don’t. If I buy something in April that I consciously chose to avoid in March, then I will donate another $1 even if I already sent the pot somewhere.
Oopsie Pot Update – $8 So Far
- March 1 – Egg McMuffin
- March 1 – New-to-me jeans from Goodwill
- March 2 – Sonic drinks for Mr. BFS and me
- March 10 – Sonic drinks again…I’m a pushover for their Happy Hour special…
- March 11 – Italian food (and I chose the $11 cannelloni instead of the $9 calzone) after a really long day filled with a lot of pet poop pick up
- March 12 – Jason’s Deli with friends instead of the leftovers I had planned to eat
- March 14 – Pizza order for a birthday hang out day this past Saturday for our friend, M.
- March 15 – Hartz Chicken Buffet for a date night instead of making dinner at home as planned
Remember to comment below with the charity that should get my Oopsie Pot at the end of March 31st. These are the votes so far, so I would suggest throwing your support behind one of these if you want a clear winner…
- Illinois Food Bank
- Salvation Army
- 2 votes for a “local animal shelter or rescue operation” / SMART Pet Rescue
- Head Start