Returning to the real world after a great vacation can either be truly depressing or like a breath of fresh air. I’m trying the fresh air route.
So, our house wasn’t flooded and my grandparents were okay when we got back this past weekend. Considering that two big wins no matter what. But there was the normal stuff that sort of sucks waiting for us too:
- We came home to gnats that had taken over our kitchen because of fruit I forgot about before we headed out.
- My car’s battery (thankfully not a hybrid) was having a little trouble starting my car the week before we left.
- I needed an oil change.
- Our foster cat decided to start scratching up a corner of our upstairs carpet.
- Mr. BFS’ Prius needed an oil change and for someone to figure out why one of its back red lights is sporadically on or off at night (been happening for more than a year).
- I had 300+ emails waiting for me to go through.
- The online blog accounts we manage had dozens and dozens of emails to handle.
- We still had daily pet sitting jobs.
- My house was sort of gross – sticky floors, cobwebs, dust, bathrooms need cleaning, etc.
- Geico still owed us a check for the cosmetic damage for the Prius even if they wouldn’t pay to get the battery replaced…
All in all, LIFE. Life was waiting for me when I got back.
Going ALL IN
I decided I could whine about returning to life or just kick ass. I am deciding to kick ass. 😉
- I visited my grandparents a few hours after we got back.
- The gnats are being battled off. What seems to work best are bowls of water and dishwashing liquid with a used Swiffer pad on top that is then covered with plastic that I’ve punched holes into…they go in but they don’t come out. No idea why gnats like Swiffer pads so much…makes me think I shouldn’t be using them as much…
- I got my car’s battery tested and replaced with one that should last a total warranty period of 3 years and a limited warranty period of 5 years ($150).
- I got a $20 oil change.
- I cleaned and trimmed the carpet damageand it is barely visible. Then I put a cardboard scratcher thing on top of it.
- Mr. BFS’ car still needs an oil change and electrical help but we’ll get that done next week.
- We have started the lazy hunt for a great Certified Pre-Owned Prius that we now have time to really do well.
- I’ve handled my 300+ emails from the trip.
- Mr. BFS caught up with the online work emails in the other accounts.
- We’re staying on top of our pet sitting.
- I’ve deep cleaned the kitchen and laundry area, which has helped with the gnats too. I’ll be tackling the floors and getting Mr. BFS to help with the bathrooms next week. Cobweb removal and dusting will be happening in the next week or two as well.
- I’ve emailed our Geico adjuster again to ask for the check ETA.
I Will Be Content, Dammit
Overall, I’ve hit the ground running. My back has stayed 95-99% better (it will always hate lots of car time though). I’m already looking into booking another cruise in either August 2016 or January 2017 (or both…one at a time though since life happens). I might need to learn a new language or two if we keep ending up in tropical locations twice a year! Hehehe.
Financially, we are stable. We are making more than we spend. We are aiming to save/invest 25% of our pre-tax earnings into our IRA’s each year – we each have a Roth IRA (max $5500 a year) and we now have a SEP IRA (max is based on a percentage of our income – we invested $11,000 for 2015). Then we can live and have fun on the rest.
We’re continuing with our social life – started our weekly Game of Thrones Nights again in our media room and have it scheduled for every Tuesday for this season. Still going dancing a couple of late evenings a week. Still have Girls Night on Thursdays and board gaming on Saturdays (around pet sitting of course). Still volunteering some Sundays with the SMART Pet Rescue cats. Still double dating with our other couples’ friends every week or two. Still visiting family.
Pretty much, life is great and I refuse to be a whiny bitch over the annoying stuff. 😀
How’s life for you? How do you remind yourself to be freaking happy, dammit? 🙂