I came home from pet sitting one evening last week and Mr. BFS was waiting in the garage as I parked. He chatted with me while I plopped my stuff down in the kitchen, and then he took my hand and led me into our bedroom. Yes, I know what you are thinking because I was thinking that too. But nope. He had transformed our bedroom into a massage oasis!!!
Let me try to really describe the awesome…
My hubby had set up a twin-sized mattress from the guest bed upstairs on the floor of our room (made with a soft sheet and the flat pillow had a soft pillow case too), had natural reedy music playing in the background, had set the temperature to exactly 75 degrees, and the entire room was only lit by the light from 6 white, unscented pillar candles. He gave me an amazing full body massage for more than an hour using a hypoallergenic massage oil that he had heated to slightly warmer than body temp and it smelled like toasted almonds and maraschino cherries. And he used actual massage techniques that he looked up online in advance.
To top off the super relaxing evening, as I was taking a shower, he ran the load of laundry with the twin-sized sheets and put up everything from the massage. I did absolutely nothing and went to bed feeling better than I had in months! Fully relaxed, no aches or pains. It was the best gift ever. Super romantic and perfect.
I asked what it was all for (after slightly freaking out that I had forgotten our anniversary or something, but that was in May), and he just said “I thought it would be nice to surprise you.”
Be Romantic on a Budget
This was not a really expensive evening, yet I loved it more than any $100 restaurant or expensive gift that he’s ever gotten me. If you’d like to make your significant other swoon, here’s what you’ll need:
- Somewhere to lay and a clean sheet and pillow case (could be the main bed if you are fine with crawling or walking around for different angles). A twin sized mattress on the floor worked well for him and me since I fit fine and he could easily reach me from every spot he kneeled. You may already own a massage table even. Just use what you have available.
- Music for ambiance. Hubby streamed YouTube massage music through his phone and then projected it through the speaker on his night stand (we have one of those speakers that you just lay the phone on).
- Candles. Mr. BFS bought 6 pillar candles from Amazon for $16. You can find $1 ones at Dollar Tree that may not be exactly the same quality, but they will light up a room for 1-2 hours.
- Massage Oil (you can warm it in hot water). We used Kama Sutra Aromatic Massage Oil in Sweet Almond that cost $17 on Amazon, but we still have 80% of the bottle left even though he was really generous with it like you should be. I highly recommend it. There are also other 4+ star massage oils just on Amazon that range from $3 for travel sizes up to $20+. If you want to have other sorts of fun with the oil too though, look for something that is also rated for that sort of use. 😉 This is just massage oil.
- Set the temperature to your honey’s favorite.
- Look up relaxing massage techniques for free online.
- Remember to clean up too since that is really icing on the cake.
Altogether, Mr. BFS spent about $35 on the best romantic evening of my life and we still have at least 5-6 evenings left in the massage oil and candles. I’ll be returning the massage favor sometime this month and we are hoping to switch back and forth pretty regularly from here on out. Honestly, for about $5 of materials per evening, it is the best date night ever.
How does this sound to you? What romantic evenings have you been surprised with or surprised someone with? Inspired to do something soon? 😀