Yep, I’m a turncoat. I had been a Sam’s Club member on and off for years and years…but now I’ve turned to the Costco side. It was a pretty easy decision to make actually – I received a free Costco membership from a friend at Christmas, yay!
So far, I’m impressed. Let me try to give an unbiased rundown for you…
- Slightly larger in my area
- Wider aisles
- Cleaner feel
- More free samples
- Their store brand, Kirkland’s, is a better quality than the Sam’s Club brand (I’m in love with Kirkland apple sauce packets)
- They have walk-in cold sections for dairy and produce that are sort of like secret rooms
- Their produce and dairy quality is better than Sam’s Club
Sam’s Club Pros
- They accept Discover card, cash, and debit. Costco accepts American Express, cash, and debit. Discover is my favorite credit card company thanks to amazing customer support. On the bright side, Costco will start accepting Visa instead of Amex in April 2016 though. I’m cool with my Visa.
- Sam’s Club has cheaper and better beef
- Also, according to my in-laws, Sam’s Club has better sausage
Okay, so maybe I’m not completely unbiased after all. Let’s see how the cost of some basic staples breaks down…
Yep, based on the staples I buy at warehouse stores the most often (Glad trash bags, Tide, Finish Powerballs, Dawn, Bounty paper towels, and Charmin Ultrasoft), Costco wins the most. Just by a little though. I’m cool with it being just a little cheaper and a way better shopping experience! Also, I started buying the Kirkland’s brand of paper towels and trash bags instead, which saves me even more. Yay for comparable quality with the name brands!
Do you prefer Sam’s Club, Costco, or Amazon Prime?