I grew up around my mom’s parents, so I’ve never had a problem connecting with them. I know that I can pretty much say anything that pops out of my mouth. I also know that they enjoy dominos (specifically Texas 42), movies, talking, and getting out of their house once in a while.
But I’m pet sitting near my husband’s maternal grandpa, and we’re hanging out a couple of times today. He’s a really nice guy, but he is more toned down than I am. So I do try to keep my expletives to a minimum, and I’m coming up with ideas of things we can do.
Activities for Grandparents and Adult Grandchildren
Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
- Ate lunch with him and his friends. Grandparents love showing off their grandchildren, married in or not, LOL.
- Cook dinner together. He suggested cooking up some salmon burgers tonight that he has in the freezer.
- Take a walk. He’s around 85 years old, but he still gets around pretty well. 🙂
- Watch a movie. I am thinking about renting a Redbox and I’m taking “Finding Nemo”.
- Put together a puzzle. I’m going to stop by a Walmart on the way over to see what sort of 250-500 piece puzzles that they have available.
- Water aerobics. I’m pet sitting in this area again in June and he wants me to bring my bathing suit to go to water aerobics with him that week.
- Talking. While we do anything, we talk. He’s a bit hard of hearing, so it’s like yelling really softly really, but you understand. 😉
I’m not sure if I will ever be able to be myself completely around Grandpa C, but that’s okay. Filtering is a good skill to practice, especially since I do it less and less with age. I don’t mind that we are so different. I don’t think he does either. And who doesn’t like food and a good puzzle? 😀
Do you or did you hang out with your grandparents as an adult? What do you/did you do regularly?