It was the best month yet!!! Whoo-hoo for a crazy 3 weeks and a little time off too!!!
I wanted to blog full time by 2012. To reach that goal, I thought I needed a bunch of traffic on all of my blogs. Specifically, I was aiming for 25,000 unique visitors a month at BFS by August 2011 and needed to be making $30,000 a year total by 2012. Well, there was a change of plans. I literally got too busy with my online work to keep my day job, so I quit as of July 15th, 2011! Self-employment is rocking so far!
I figured the best way to keep my eye on the prize is to hit monthly targets, so I started posting here. Between that and the fact there seems to be major interest in the subject, I started an update around the 1st of every month of my blogging stats and income generated. I’ll also do a huge 1 year update at the beginning of every January.
Here were my goals for December 2011 followed by the results:
- Alexa Ranking: 32,500 / 36,938 (inching up…)
- Visits: 19,000 / 16,994 (holiday month…I think I shot too high)
- Unique Visitors: 15,000 /13,348
- Pageviews: 30,000 /25,074
- RSS subscribers: 800 /650
- Twitter followers: 1000 /1070
- Traffic breakdown: 7000 from Referring Sites (3548), 3000 from Direct Traffic (2304), 8000 from Search Engines (10,363), 1000 from Other (779)
- Blogging Income: $10,000 / $24,880.95 (Seriously, I danced a freaking jig, double-checked, and danced again!!!)
Monthly Income Breakdown
- Advertising on BFS: $3542.39
- Advertising on My Other Blogs: $1605.00
- Writing (Staff Writing and Freelancing): $410.00
- Blogging Services (Running advertising on other sites and freelance tasks): $19,323.56
I had $2596.64 in expenses as well which included $921.97 in Paypal fees, my basic expenses, and blog empire expansion. That came to 10% in expenses. If you’d like to see my exact blogging expenses breakdown for this month, check out How I Make Money Blogging. I have been attempting to keep them at 15% or less of my overall income. That said, my net profit this month before taxes was $22,284.31. WHOO-HOO!!!
As I mentioned at the start, my traffic was down this month due to the holidays and because I stopped commenting as much. But December is awesome for blog advertising!!! Every advertiser contact seemed to have an end-of-year budget that needed to be spent! I am still so glad I quit my day job!!!
In the meantime, I am paying myself $3575 a month / $1650 every 2 weeks (a third of that goes to taxes…), so I better darn well keep bringing in at least that. The extra money is currently being divided up with 75% going to our mortgage and 25% going towards investments – we’ve suspended extra additions to our fun money and vacation accounts until the mortgage is completely paid off, which may happen in less than 6 months at this rate!
My goals for January:
- Alexa Ranking: 35,000
- Visits: 19,000
- Unique Visitors: 15,000
- Pageviews: 30,000
- RSS subscribers: 800
- Twitter followers: 1250
- Traffic breakdown: 7000 from Referring Sites, 3000 from Direct Traffic, 8000 from Search Engines, 1000 from Other
- Blogging Income: $10,000
Total Online Income from 2011: $99,334.14
Total Expenses from 2011: $15,201.74 (15.3%)
Net Profit from 2011 before taxes: $84,132.40
Any questions, comments, or advice? As I mentioned, I go into more detail with my income and expenses on the 1st of the month at http://howimakemoneyblogging.com/, but feel free to ask anything you’d like at either site!!!
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $70,000-$90,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!