I’m annoyed. No, that isn’t really the right word. I’m freaking ticked off. And now I’m motivated to change.
My husband and I run a blog advertising business. Google hates paid links and ads (although Adsense seems to be fine to them). So every time they decide to punish the masses for breaking their terms of service, my life becomes more difficult. It’s totally their choice to change people’s rankings in their system, but why does the entire online world seem to give them so much power? Some don’t care and base their decisions on Domain Authority or MozRank instead (woot!). But the majority of bloggers and advertisers really, really care about how Google thinks. I never liked giving one popular kid a ton of power and now my entire livelihood seems to be based on that. Grrr…
Motivated to Change
Overall, I’ve been able to reign in my annoyance. In fact, it is a little fun to just say “screw The Man” and continue on my merry way, but indignancy alone won’t pay the bills. So I’m changing myself for others, lol. Specifically, I’m changing Budgeting in the Fun Stuff (BFS) a bit. Don’t worry, the change will be for the better. I am still going to write from the heart, still cover the same subjects, and still hope all of you check in and comment as the mood strikes you.
But, I’m also going to steal a few great ideas from one of my blogging heros, Pat Flynn at Smart Passive Income – it’s time for me to monetize in ways that online super powers can’t affect. So you are going to see some new posts once in a while about products I use, eBooks I read, and maybe I’ll even publish another eBook myself…we’ll see. 😉
I Won’t Suck
Please don’t worry about BFS becoming a boring sales site. I would never do that to you. I love this blog – it’s my baby. I love interacting with all of you. In fact, I am going to make BFS even better. Here are my general plans:
- Write more posts every week from the heart like this one. You all have met Happy Crystal, Motivated Crystal, and some Venting Crystal. But I sort of edit out parts of myself that I don’t like. For example, Crazy Crystal (irrational for no reason at all) usually gets edited out. Pissed Off Crystal is usually toned down too. And Giddy Crystal annoys me, lol, but I’ll make sure I let her out too. I swear I’m not schizo – no multiple personality disorders to deal with – but I am going to be even more open than I have before. Writing from the heart is just better for all of us.
- If I write about an eBook or product, I will be 100% honest. I will also try to point out how you can use it the best for your own purposes. General reviews sort of make me roll my eyes, so I will review it and walk you through it. Maybe that will also help convey exactly what I think about it. I will never push you to buy something. I’ll just point out the pros, cons, and why I am writing about it. My reviews won’t suck.
- I am going to include you more. In fact, here is my first big push…
What Do You Want?
I would love your feedback right now. Please comment below or email me anytime at budgetingfunstuff *at* gmail.com – really, even if you find this post in 6 months or 3 years – I want to know:
- What subjects should I write about more often? Do you crave more personal stories? Or do you wish I’d talk about stocks more often? Both? Maybe you just want to know what I am reading? Let me know!
- Do you like short posts or long posts? It seems like I am the queen of the 500 word post, but when I get going, I can go on forever. What do you prefer?
- Do you have any questions about a product or eBook that you’ve seen in passing? I’ll try to track it down and give you a full review.
- Will one product or eBook review every week or two drive you away? Pull you in? This blog is like my diary, but it’s also a personal finance blog. I need to know what you want from it just so I can adjust my course.
- Did you want me to write another eBook about anything specific? If you have any ideas, please share. If I go with yours, you’ll get the first published copy. 😀
I’m going to start doing monthly updates on this new goal to make non-PR affected income from blogging starting right now. Here is all of the income I made in February 2013 that isn’t messed with by the big G:
- eBook – $170.00
- Affiliate – $0.00 (made $104 from Flexoffers but haven’t received the check yet, so it doesn’t count yet)
- Freelancing – $25.00
- TOTAL = $195.00
My goal from March is to beat that total and to flesh out my plan of attack.
Thank you as always for tuning in. Thanks for any feedback you can give me now!
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 a year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $80,000-$100,000 through blogging, a rental home, and professional pet sitting. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you). I even have all of my favorite tools on a resource page - I hope they help you too. This all gives me the time to be with my aging family members, the flexibility to stay close with my friends and family, and it should help if we finally get pregnant too! Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!