The following is the first ever staff writer post from Amanda L. Grossman at Frugal Confessions. She covers how to live a frugal decadent life where saving and living in the present are both held in high regard. Amanda will be contributing meaty info posts just for you about twice a month. Please give her a very warm welcome!
There are a few downfalls to becoming an adult. Don’t get me wrong; I love the freedom and control I have over my life and would never want to relive my teenage years and prepubescent angst. But wouldn’t it be nice to still enjoy some of the magic of childhood, like believing in Santa Claus or having others throw quirky birthday parties for you just because you turned one year older?
Each year I take the time to sign up for as many birthday freebies as I can so that I can spend November—my birthday month—being lavished with lovely perks and gifts from my favorite retailers. It makes my birthdays almost as good as the good ole’ days, except there are no New Kids on the Block playing in the background and I’ve given up the bangs. Even doing just one round of sign-ups with these companies will yield impressive returns because once you are on an email list you should continue to receive birthday freebies from that retailer for as many years as they have the program in place.
Examples of Freebies I’ve Received
So what free perks have I enjoyed throughout my birthday month? In my mailbox I’ve received free $5.00 gift cards to Academy Sports. Through email I have received a coupon for a free $5.00 to spend at Jason’s Deli, a coupon for a free product at Sephora (one year it was eye makeup, the next year it was a free lipstick trio), a free soy chai at Starbucks®, a free breakfast at IHOP’s, a free Fuddrucker’s burger, etc.
A Few Pointers Before We Get Started
In case you are wondering how you can possibly eat all of this food in one day, you typically do not have to enjoy these great freebies on your actual birthday (thank goodness!). Instead, companies give you from several days to several weeks to use their coupon. Also, many times you will get freebies just for signing up, and possibly on the anniversary date from when you joined. Finally, since you will be receiving emails from all of these companies you might wish to open up a separate “freebies email” account for this purpose.
Food Freebies to Sign Up for
- Jason’s Deli: Receive a free $5 gift card for your birthday. I used this along with my Fuddrucker’s free burger below and had a burger, soup, and peach tea for a birthday lunch!
- Denny’s: Enjoy a free Grand Slam on your birthday.
- Firehouse Subs: Sign up to receive a free medium sub on your birthday (my favorite sub is their Italian one).
- IHOP: Enjoy a free Rooty Tooty Fresh ‘N Fruity breakfast (two eggs, 2 bacon strips, 2 sausage links, and two pancakes).
- Benihana: Join the Chef’s Table for free to be given an amazing $30 gift certificate to use during the month of your birthday!
- Houlihan’s: Score a free menu item for your birthday.
- Krispy Kreme: Join the Friends of Krispy Kreme and enjoy a free donut and drink in your birthday month.
- Jack in the Box: Enjoy a dessert of your choice (chocolate overload cake or New York Cheesecake) during the week of your birthday.
- Schlotzsky’s: Join their Bun&Fun eclub and receive a free small sandwich or 8” pizza for your birthday.
- Spaghetti Warehouse: Join and receive a free spaghetti entrée on your birthday (and rumored that you will also receive a free sundae!).
- Taco Cabana: Join and enjoy a free flauta plate on your birthday.
- Which Wich: Join the Vibe Club and receive a free regular wich (sandwich) for your birthday.
- Fuddrucker’s: Join the Fudds Club to get a free 1/3 pound burger for your birthday.
- Dunkin’ Donuts: Sign up for Dunkin’ UpDDate and receive a free beverage on your birthday.
- Genghis Grill: Signing up for Khan’s Klub will get you a free bowl for your birthday.
- Starbucks: Sign up for My Starbucks Rewards to receive a free handcrafted beverage of your choice during the month of your birthday.
Other Freebies to Sign Up for
- Sephora: Each year they offer something different from their store for you (and even put it in a cute little bag!).
- CVS: Join the Beauty Club and receive a $3 coupon to use for whatever you would like around your birthday.
- Brunswick Bowling: Sign up for the Bonus Zone and receive two free games of bowling.
If you don’t have time to sign up for these today, you might wish to bookmark this page and the article above and come back for when you do. I hope you enjoy, as I want you to have the same smile during your birthday month as I do when the gifts start rolling in!