*BEEP* Wait 2 minutes…
*BEEP* Wait 3 minutes…
*BEEP – “Battery is Low”*
GREAT, NOW IT’S TALKING TO ME…
And that was Monday morning from 4am to 4:15am while my hubby and I waited under smoke detectors to figure out which one decided that we don’t deserve sleep…and of course, it was the stupid, freaking detector that is at the top of our 2-story entry hall. POOP
How to Reach a 2 Story Fire Detector
First, we tried using wax earplugs to go back to bed for a few more hours. Nope.
Then we started thinking of who we’d know with a 20 foot extension ladder. The list was small and they were still sleeping at 5am, so we didn’t want to bother them. Not to mention that we’d still need to figure out a way to get it to our house since the ones who own the ladders don’t own trucks…
So I called handymen that were within 15 minutes of my house that I found on Craigslist. I ended up receiving two quotes – one for $65 plus the time it took and the other for $135. REALLY?!
We gave in to the auditory torture at 6am and headed to the nearest home improvement store…
I walked around our house and figured out that we have 9 smoke/carbon monoxide detectors. All of them are either in or near bedrooms, and the one at the top of the stairs (also two floors up but accessible) is just as likely to sense anything as the one two stories in the middle of no where. What the heck were they thinking with this silly detector?!
Ladders Are Expensive!
This is when we encountered $130-$300 17-22 ft. extension ladders. We ended up with a $189 ($205 with tax) multi-position Werner ladder. It was short enough to fit well in my Honda Fit, and it can be used on uneven surfaces – like that spot above the stairs where I want to hang the rest of our artwork. So I am trying to look at this as a useful investment.
It ended up working but now there are rubber marks all over our paint job about 15 feet in the air. 🙁
I posted my dilemma and end result on Nextdoor.com and met a few neighbors that have been in similar positions. One ended up paying $175 for a handyman to change super high light bulbs. I decided that anybody stuck in my position in the future can borrow our ladder. Hopefully we’ll help save some frustration for someone down the road…
And To Add to the Misery
Oh, and did I mention that while we were tracking down the second beep (about 3-4 minutes), I let our new foster dog outside to pee? He decided that potty time would be better used to escape our backyard. This 15 pound Yorkshire Terrier actually moved a brick and the piece of wood behind it in less than 4 minutes and ran for it. So, as if the beeping piece of poop wasn’t bad enough, we took a 15 minute break to walk the streets and find a bolter. Our friends that live with us helped us, which was super sweet. We were wondering around at 4:15am in robes and pajamas.
Luckily, we found Campbell. I also drove him back to the main rescue lady the same day since that was just the last, scary straw. He was also beyond hyper and not house trained. It was just a bit too stressful for me, and it was just made worse with the amazingly annoying beeping.
So, we’re out $205 and I wasn’t successful with our third foster. And that wasn’t our most expensive day so far…stay tuned. BUT, I’m actually perky. Money’s just money, right? 😉 I am super thankful that we have the padding to take care of unexpected expenses. I am also extremely thankful that we found Campbell and got him back to the rescue before he simply ran off permanently.
Hope your Memorial Day was a little less stressful!!! 😀
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $70,000-$90,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!