UPDATE July 31: JUMP ONTO THIS WEIGHT LOSS TRAIN NOW TO GRAB A PIECE OF THE FUN!!! You can join in late though it gives you less time to lose the 4%…
I know, I know. I won a whopping $12 on my first Dietbet and wasn’t extremely impressed. But, my annoyance with the small payout actually motivated me to refuse to lose my other 3 Dietbets. That meant I stayed on track last weekend even though truly wanted to take a break from calorie-counting, and I won $46 on the 3 Kickstarters. Soooo…I guess I am indeed money-motivated.
I also have been mentioning my Dietbets to a few friends, and they wanted in on the action too. My neighbor friend and strength-training buddy, Debbie, wanted to try it out with a $10 bet. I didn’t see any of those starting soon, so I decided to host one myself.
You don’t receive any kickbacks for hosting small games, but that just means we all have to win so Dietbet gets nothing too. 😉 We can motivate each other to stick to our respective diet and workout plans. And $10 is cheaper than a month of many other weight loss programs.
How to Dietbet
- Choose the campaign you want to join. The one I created is The “We’ll Make Weight Loss Not Suck” Dietbet. When choosing a campaign, I have figured out that the larger the pot, the fewer the people who fail, so you actually seem to get just as much cash from winning a $10-$25 bet as a $35-$100 one.
- It will charge your credit card as Waybetter
- Submit your official weigh-in photos when allowed. They tell you a word to write down on an index card (though I use a sticky note), then take a full body shot using a full length mirror or by asking someone else to do it for you, and finally you take a shot of the scale showing your weigh-in weight. I’d suggest wearing the heaviest yoga pants and t-shirt and underwear as possible and weigh in at night. No shoes or belts or hats – they ask people to stick with TSA rules.
- Lose 4% of your body weight in 4 weeks or 10% in 6 months.
- Submit your official weigh-out photos during the assigned 48 hour period. You can apparently be topless if necessary, lol. Just saw a post about that in one of my other Dietbets. I wear pretty much the same outfit for weigh-outs as I did for weigh-ins – Capri workout pants and a tshirt.
- They will deposit your winnings into a thing called Points on their site, and you can cash them out to Paypal (each point is $1) or use them for additional Dietbets.
Feel free to join our upcoming Dietbet!!! It runs from August 1-28 and 4 other people (2 bloggers) have already jumped aboard!
This is going to be a little rough for me since we booked a cruise for August 19-26, but I am going to give it my best effort! I heard the ship has a thing called a “jogging track”…I’ll do a little research and figure out what “jogging” is and if it means I can eat molten chocolate lava cake every night for dessert or not. 😉
If you end up not wanting to join the Dietbet but would like to participate in some way, I’ll post updates here and you can follow along and comment below! You’ll miss out on some funny weight-loss memes that I’m posting over there, but hopefully we can all use each other to accomplish some goals this August!
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $70,000-$90,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!