Last June, I went to an open interview to become a Chick-Fil-A cow mascot. I didn’t think I did that well in the practice part of the interview, but they called me in anyway a few times last year and a few more times this year. Since I am 5’2″ tall, I am the perfect size to be the kid cow (which is apparently the hard one to find). And since I work from home, I am available when their normal high school student employees are in class. 🙂
My Cow Experiences Thus Far
So, from last December to last week, I have been the kid cow 6 times. I was at the mall for Cow Appreciation Day and again for Christmas with Santa. I also worked the main restaurant once, a high school once, and two events held in a huge church auditorium for school events.
The gist of the job:
- Show up 15 minutes early to wherever I will be working.
- Put on the sports band to keep my glasses on my head and put my hair into a ponytail.
- Squirrel away in a closet or unoccupied room to put on all of the mascot stuff with the help of a “wrangler” – yep we have cow help. Specifically, we put everything on in this order – suit, clothing item of choice, feet, hands (with help), and the head (with help).
- 30-45 minutes of being a cow. A wrangler stays nearby to make sure we aren’t tipped. Seriously. 😀
- Then 10-15 minutes of break time with water.
- Repeat if necessary. My jobs have been 1.5-3 hours long.
- Get out of the suit with help, put it back into its bag, and head home.
- My check is mailed to me 2-3 weeks later (I could pick it up like a regular employee, but I am lazy and rarely near the mall).
Overall, it’s hot inside of the suit, but a lot of fun. I’m paid $10 an hour, $25 minimum. My favorite part is sneaking up on people and making moose ears on them when they don’t know I’m there but everybody else around notices…hehehe. 😀
And to be honest, all of the hugs from toddlers, kids, teenagers, and even adults is really nice. I like hugs, expecially when there is a cow suit that I’m not in charge of washing between me and sticky fingers. 😉 Not too shabby for a once-in-a-while hobby job.
Pics or It Didn’t Happen
And I know the following pictures will give most of you a nice laugh, so without further ado…
What is the most entertaining job that you’ve ever had? Any other mascots out there?