Last June, I went to an open interview to become a Chick-Fil-A cow mascot. I didn’t think I did that well in the practice part of the interview, but they called me in anyway a few times last year and a few more times this year. Since I am 5’2″ tall, I am the perfect size to be the kid cow (which is apparently the hard one to find). And since I work from home, I am available when their normal high school student employees are in class.
My Cow Experiences Thus Far
So, from last December to last week, I have been the kid cow 6 times. I was at the mall for Cow Appreciation Day and again for Christmas with Santa. I also worked the main restaurant once, a high school once, and two events held in a huge church auditorium for school events.
The gist of the job:
- Show up 15 minutes early to wherever I will be working.
- Put on the sports band to keep my glasses on my head and put my hair into a ponytail.
- Squirrel away in a closet or unoccupied room to put on all of the mascot stuff with the help of a “wrangler” – yep we have cow help. Specifically, we put everything on in this order – suit, clothing item of choice, feet, hands (with help), and the head (with help).
- 30-45 minutes of being a cow. A wrangler stays nearby to make sure we aren’t tipped. Seriously.
- Then 10-15 minutes of break time with water.
- Repeat if necessary. My jobs have been 1.5-3 hours long.
- Get out of the suit with help, put it back into its bag, and head home.
- My check is mailed to me 2-3 weeks later (I could pick it up like a regular employee, but I am lazy and rarely near the mall).
Overall, it’s hot inside of the suit, but a lot of fun. I’m paid $10 an hour, $25 minimum. My favorite part is sneaking up on people and making moose ears on them when they don’t know I’m there but everybody else around notices…hehehe.
And to be honest, all of the hugs from toddlers, kids, teenagers, and even adults is really nice. I like hugs, expecially when there is a cow suit that I’m not in charge of washing between me and sticky fingers. ;-) Not too shabby for a once-in-a-while hobby job.
Pics or It Didn’t Happen
And I know the following pictures will give most of you a nice laugh, so without further ado…
What is the most entertaining job that you’ve ever had? Any other mascots out there?