Update as of April 24, 2014 – We’ve raised $350 so far!!! FinCon14 will cost a total of $2500 for the plane, the entry tickets, and room and board if she shares. I’d love to help her raise some money for her legal fees too. So our minimum target is $2500 and our main goal is $5000 total!!! Please help!!!
Update as of April 25, 2014 at 2pm CST – We’ve raised $700 in cash so far, plus a FinCon ticket, plus the flight here thanks to reward miles from one of our awesome blogging buddies, plus a free place to crash with a shared hotel room!!! Whoo-hoo!!! That means that we’re just shooting for another $750 to cover the rest of the ticket home plus food for the week!
So we’re just $750 away from getting Kylie to FinCon and $3000 away from our overall goal of around $5000 to help with legal fees!!!
You may know of Kylie Ofiu from Aspiring Millionaire. She’s a mother, a blogger, a speaker, and raises awareness for the charity, [email protected]. I first “met” Kylie online as a great guest poster and cool blogger lady.
Then I had the pleasure of meeting her in person at The Financial Blogger Conference. She’s a strong woman that turns true life crap into pure opportunity. Since 2012, she’s published occasional updates about that crap along with stories of her amazing growth as a person overall.
Kylie’s Past 18 Months
To save all of us major browsing time, and with her permission to share what she’s published, here is a general synopsis of her situation:
- She’s in Australia.
- In 2012, her now-ex-husband started abusing her physically.
- By the end of 2012, he tried to stab her and started stalking her.
- While extricating herself from that, she was raped by someone else.
- She and her children lived in a garage while she got on her feet.
- Now court cases are sucking up all of her money and she may have to skip FinCon14 on top of everything else.
- Despite all of that, Kylie swears that she wouldn’t change her past at all since she is stronger now than ever. Her exact words (which make me want to hug her)
I am very grateful for the experiences, I have learned so much, grown a lot and changed so much. I really like the person I am now, the place my life is at and I have been actively involved in helping the homeless and domestic violence victims and love it. I have been offered a dream job because of it all too.
Now for what I didn’t tell Kylie that I was planning. I want to get her to FinCon14. During the worst parts of our lives, getting away can be amazingly beneficial. Hell, just sleeping well overseas may help. And even if she can’t make it, I want to help her with what we can for all of the costs that she is incurring because of evil people. Here is what I am suggesting:
- Donate directly to Kylie via her Paypal – k_ofiu *at* yahoo.com.au
- Donate to the current charity drive, CEO Sleepout, via her page to help her hit her $2000 goal.
- If you can’t donate, or even if you just want to help more, please leave a supportive comment to her below and promote her charity drive via Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, etc.
- Forward this post to everyone you know!!!
Please help any way you can. We couldn’t stop the abuse, but we can stop the abusers from killing her financially. She doesn’t know I posted this yet, so let’s make her really wonder about where all this money is popping up from before she catches on!!! Make it an Eggceptionally Amazing Easter weekend!!! 😉
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $70,000-$90,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!