I enjoyed the recipes I’ve been trying on BFS, so here’s another great one!
Commenter MikeS was kind enough to send in the following recipe for me to try out, and it was inexpensive, tasty, and by far the easiest recipe I’ve posted about so far! 🙂
Mom’s Pineapple Stuffing
1 cup sugar (I’m estimating that is costs about $0.40 at Kroger)
1 stick of butter ($0.40 at Kroger)
4 eggs ($0.40 at Kroger…I’m seeing a pattern, lol)
5 slices white bread ($0.35 at Walmart)
1 can (1lb 4oz) crushed pineapples, drained ($1.08 at Walmart)
- Total cost was less than $3.75 or about $0.75 per serving depending on your personal serving size.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and grease ½ quart casserole dish (I used our 8″ x 8″ pan).
2. In a bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
4. Then stir in the pineapple.
5. Break bread slices into pieces, add to the pineapple mixture, and mix well.
6. Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish.
7. Bake for 1 hour (we baked for 75 minutes due to our specific electric oven), remove from oven, and enjoy!
MikeS said this goes really well with ham. I personally ate it by itself 20 minutes out of the oven, then a few hours later as a dessert with my in-laws, and then I ate some of it cold for a lunch dessert the next day. My in-laws loved it and I’m addicted. It tastes like a combo of bread pudding and a pineapple upside down cake to me.
I’d have to say it would be a great side dish for any poultry or pig or even a delicious dessert by itself…I probably just wouldn’t serve it with cow. 🙂
As always, do you have any other recipe suggestions that a new cook like me could pull off – really easy? How does this one sound to you?
To Save in Dining, check out Restaurant.com!
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $70,000-$90,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!