For those of you who may have missed it, my cell phone was stolen on April 4th, 2011 while I was donating blood. I broke down the events of the first two days in the post I linked to in the last sentence, and here is what has happened in the saga since then. Let me just start by saying that paperwork is a pain in the butt.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 6, 2011:
- 9:55am – Call Geico Home Insurance line and request an emailed copy of my Homeowner’s Declaration Page since I can’t seem to find it quickly at home.
- 10:00am – Receive emailed Homeowner’s Declaration, yay!
- 10:05 am – Print out claim form from Discover Card for my Samsung Epic and fill it out.
- 10:15am – Call Houston Police Department to request a copy of my report. I am told I will have to mail in the request with a dime attached for each page (my report is one page long) and include a self-addressed envelope.
- 10:30am – Call the Sprint Store we bought our phones at to see if they can print me out a receipt from late January. They can!!! Woot! No more searching!
- 11:00am – Mail out request for 2 copies of my police report along with 2 dimes and a self-addressed envelope.
- 11:05am – Make a note on my calendar to call if I don’t have those reports within 2 weeks.
- 11:20am- Print out my Discover Card statment and Homeowner’s Declaration Page. Paper-clip everything together while waiting for the original receipt and police report.
- 5:05pm – Pick up printed copy of my original receipt from the Sprint Store. Also look at the current price for the Samsung Epic ($500). Realize I am spending a heck of a lot of time trying to recoup $325. Oh well.
- 5:30pm – Research prices on the Samsung Epic online. It looks like I can get one from Craigslist for $250-$300.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 12, 2011:
- 5:00pm – Received the copy of my police report.
- 5:30pm – Found a suitable replacement on Craigslist for $290 – almost brand new and the seller was willing to meet me at a Sprint store to have it transferred over to me before I pay. Scheduled a day to meet up on my side of town on Friday.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 13, 2011:
- 8:15am – Faxed in all of the paperwork to the Discover’s insurance claims department.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 14, 2011:
- 3:00pm – Get email from Discover’s claims department saying that I left out a Written Statement of Loss, which I verified from their first email that THEY NEVER MENTIONED BEFORE. Grrr…
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 15, 2011:
- 8:00am – Fax it my Written Statement of Loss
- 2:00pm – Craigslist seller asks me if I’ll give him gas money since he’s driving 45 minutes to meet me. I say no. He says okay. He cancels on me an hour later.
- 4:30pm – I call Sprint to see how much a new Samsung Epic would be for me. I nearly gag when they tell me $499 plus tax. That would be a $540 phone!
- 5:30pm – I try calling one more person on Craigslist, but he no longer has the phone.
- 5:45pm – I get frustrated and find a seller on Ebay with more than 14,000 positive reviews that is selling my exact phone for $325. With shipping and Texas taxes, the total is $378. I paid with my Discover again just to keep myself covered.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 19, 2011:
- 5:15pm – Find a note from USPS on my door saying the package requires a signature and must be picked up at the local USPS office after tomorrow morning. Let’s just say I was not happy.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 20, 2011:
- 12:15pm – My awesome husband, who was actually home sick with a monster head cold, picked up my phone for me and brought it to my job. He also took me out to lunch. I love him.
- 12:30pm – My new Samsung Epic is activated and working, woot!
- 4:45pm – I run by a Sprint store and have my contacts copied over.
- 6:00pm – I downloaded the free Total Equipment Protection App that the Sprint store clerk recommended. Now my lost or stolen phone can put out a loud ring, be located via GPS, and can be locked, shut down, and/or wiped if I can’t find it.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 22, 2011:
- 11:00am – Received an email from Discover’s insurance company stating that my claim has been approved and a $324.78 check will be on its way soon! Woot!!!
So I have a smart phone again, yay! Maybe I won’t have to spend 2 hours checking email every night now. 🙂 This whole claims process was a pain, but I am tried to stay positive. Now I just need to wait patiently for that check to pop up.
How was your April ?
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 a year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $80,000-$100,000 through blogging, a rental home, and professional pet sitting. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you). I even have all of my favorite tools on a resource page - I hope they help you too. This all gives me the time to be with my aging family members, the flexibility to stay close with my friends and family, and it should help if we finally get pregnant too! Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!