For those of you who may have missed it, my cell phone was stolen on April 4th, 2011 while I was donating blood. I broke down the events of the first two days in the post I linked to in the last sentence, and here is what has happened in the saga since then. Let me just start by saying that paperwork is a pain in the butt.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 6, 2011:
- 9:55am – Call Geico Home Insurance line and request an emailed copy of my Homeowner’s Declaration Page since I can’t seem to find it quickly at home.
- 10:00am – Receive emailed Homeowner’s Declaration, yay!
- 10:05 am – Print out claim form from Discover Card for my Samsung Epic and fill it out.
- 10:15am – Call Houston Police Department to request a copy of my report. I am told I will have to mail in the request with a dime attached for each page (my report is one page long) and include a self-addressed envelope.
- 10:30am – Call the Sprint Store we bought our phones at to see if they can print me out a receipt from late January. They can!!! Woot! No more searching!
- 11:00am – Mail out request for 2 copies of my police report along with 2 dimes and a self-addressed envelope.
- 11:05am – Make a note on my calendar to call if I don’t have those reports within 2 weeks.
- 11:20am- Print out my Discover Card statment and Homeowner’s Declaration Page. Paper-clip everything together while waiting for the original receipt and police report.
- 5:05pm – Pick up printed copy of my original receipt from the Sprint Store. Also look at the current price for the Samsung Epic ($500). Realize I am spending a heck of a lot of time trying to recoup $325. Oh well.
- 5:30pm – Research prices on the Samsung Epic online. It looks like I can get one from Craigslist for $250-$300.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 12, 2011:
- 5:00pm – Received the copy of my police report.
- 5:30pm – Found a suitable replacement on Craigslist for $290 – almost brand new and the seller was willing to meet me at a Sprint store to have it transferred over to me before I pay. Scheduled a day to meet up on my side of town on Friday.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 13, 2011:
- 8:15am – Faxed in all of the paperwork to the Discover’s insurance claims department.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 14, 2011:
- 3:00pm – Get email from Discover’s claims department saying that I left out a Written Statement of Loss, which I verified from their first email that THEY NEVER MENTIONED BEFORE. Grrr…
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 15, 2011:
- 8:00am – Fax it my Written Statement of Loss
- 2:00pm – Craigslist seller asks me if I’ll give him gas money since he’s driving 45 minutes to meet me. I say no. He says okay. He cancels on me an hour later.
- 4:30pm – I call Sprint to see how much a new Samsung Epic would be for me. I nearly gag when they tell me $499 plus tax. That would be a $540 phone!
- 5:30pm – I try calling one more person on Craigslist, but he no longer has the phone.
- 5:45pm – I get frustrated and find a seller on Ebay with more than 14,000 positive reviews that is selling my exact phone for $325. With shipping and Texas taxes, the total is $378. I paid with my Discover again just to keep myself covered.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 19, 2011:
- 5:15pm – Find a note from USPS on my door saying the package requires a signature and must be picked up at the local USPS office after tomorrow morning. Let’s just say I was not happy.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 20, 2011:
- 12:15pm – My awesome husband, who was actually home sick with a monster head cold, picked up my phone for me and brought it to my job. He also took me out to lunch. I love him.
- 12:30pm – My new Samsung Epic is activated and working, woot!
- 4:45pm – I run by a Sprint store and have my contacts copied over.
- 6:00pm – I downloaded the free Total Equipment Protection App that the Sprint store clerk recommended. Now my lost or stolen phone can put out a loud ring, be located via GPS, and can be locked, shut down, and/or wiped if I can’t find it.
My Cell Phone Was Stolen – Timeline for April 22, 2011:
- 11:00am – Received an email from Discover’s insurance company stating that my claim has been approved and a $324.78 check will be on its way soon! Woot!!!
So I have a smart phone again, yay! Maybe I won’t have to spend 2 hours checking email every night now. 🙂 This whole claims process was a pain, but I am tried to stay positive. Now I just need to wait patiently for that check to pop up.
How was your April ?
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $80,000-$100,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). I even have all of my favorite tools on a resource page - I hope they help you too. Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!