I joined four different Dietbet campaigns a couple of weeks ago. In short, I bet $125 overall that I could lose 7 pounds by July 17 and keep it off through July 26.
As of this past Sunday morning, I have 1.2 pounds to go…it just happens to be the week of birthday parties and a baby shower. I may not have thought this through all the way. 😉
How I’ve Lost the Weight So Far
The first campaign had already started by the time I joined, so that left me with a little more than 3 weeks to lose the 4% of my body weight. I refuse to starve myself, take pills, or do anything that could mess with my hormones. I want to be a healthy baby-making vessel should the time come and we’ll be trying again in the next few months.
With that slant towards health in mind, I’ve been tracking every single thing I eat in My Fitness Pal and have been walking more. My Fitness Pal is a free application that set me a daily calorie goal to stay around every day based on my current weight, height, and normal activity level. I get 1320 calories a day, which only stretches if I stay away from large serving sizes of carbs.
Menu Examples for 1320 Daily Calories
A day with two restaurants (Qin Dynasty Chinese and Texas Roadhouse):
- Banana for breakfast
- Lunch was a wonton soup, 2-3 cups of a shrimp with vegetables, 1/4 cup rice, and a fortune cookie
- Dinner was a 6 ounce sirloin, mashed potatoes (no gravy), green beans, and half a roll
A Day We Hosted a Board Gaming Potluck:
- Waffle House plain waffle plus 1 ounce of syrup for breakfast
- Grilled Chicken for lunch
- Took a bite of a cheddar brat hotdog on a bun
- Grilled chicken wing and 3 ounces of charcoal-grilled pork
- Fresh cherries (1/3 pound)
- A sliver of Lemon Chessman Pie
- 5 vodka and sugar-free cherry Jello shots
A Normal Day with Leftovers:
- Banana for breakfast
- 3 ounces of grilled chicken and 2 ounces of black beans for lunch
- Leftover from my parent’s visit Sunday, 2 ounce servings of salmon and 2 ounces of ribeye steak with a romaine garden salad with a roasted tomato vinaigrette
- Snacks throughout the day included a large bowl (1.5 cups) of Honey Nut Cheerios with 1/2 cup whole milk, lots of fresh watermelon, and 3 vodka and sugar-free cherry Jello shots
As you can see, I haven’t been starving. 🙂 I’m just having to go with smaller portion sizes than I had been delving into before. I felt hungry my first week but now I feel good throughout the day. And I’m down 8 pounds from when I started tracking my food on June 19th, 3 weeks ago. Obviously that pace is slowing down, but I’m still aiming to shave off 1-2 pounds per week.
What this Means with Dietbet
I’m about a pound away from my 168 pound target and my first Dietbet ends July 17. Then I just need to keep it off until the final weigh-ins for my other three Dietbets on July 24, July 26, and July 27. After that, I just have to pay attention to the monthly goals for one of those Dietbets since it lasts for 6 months in total.
I’m excited to see what the payouts end up being so I can share here! Wish me luck! Any low calorie but cheap and easy recipes/ideas? 😀
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $70,000-$90,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!