I will probably not keep you updated on my resolutions progress every month since it would bore you to tears, BUT most resolutions that don’t have a fighting chance die in January. So I figured I would at least show the progress thus far and hopefully celebrate no dead resolutions yet…
New Year’s Resolutions 2013
Here were the goals I set out at the end of 2012 for the new year:
- Pay off the rent house by December 31, 2013. It had about $23,500 to go.
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2012 by April 2013 (needed $8000).
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2013 by December 31, 2013 (needed $11,000).
- Budget appropriately for at least 3 vacations – a one week summer vacation, the Financial Blogger Conference again, and the Board Game Geek Board Gaming Conference again.
- Continue staying active. My specific goal here is to get off my butt at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes all year long. Since I don’t want to be able to fail by just having a bad week, I have decided that this means that I need to exercise a minimum of 12 times per month to stay on track (144 times or more over all of 2013).
Update as of February 4, 2013
Here is where I stand so far:
- Pay off the rent house. It has about $22,900 to go and we’re saving up right now for the last big payment.
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2012. DONE, yay!
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2013. Haven’t really started saving for this one yet…figure it will be easier after we pay off the rent house.
- Budget appropriately for at least 3 vacations – I have started fun money savings again, but we aren’t close to being able to pay for all 3 yet. I think we’ll need about $3000 total and we have less than $300 so far…
- Continue staying active. My specific goal here is to get off my butt at least 144 times or more over all of 2013. I only hit the magic number of 7 in January, but I’m still positive that I’ll get this one taken care of…already worked out twice in February…
Okay, so that means that I’ve completed 1 of 5 of our resolutions so far. Yay! But I really need to crack down on myself and exercise more. The other three left are all about saving enough money, so I am looking into ways of increasing how fast we can save. We’re trying to cut back on some expenses like food. And I am selling off websites that weren’t doing anything for me AND building up my online presence with better sites like my recent partnership with John at Married with Debt. Hopefully I’ll be able to squirrel even more away faster and make quick work of the rest of my 2013 goals.
If you have had any stumbles, there are ways to stay motivated. For example, Visa Prepaid has created the Build Your Best Year instant win game. Keep up with resolutions or create new ones and you could win Premium Headphones or a $15 Visa Gift card. Additionally, every game play gives the user an opportunity to win the grand prize of a Tablet PC with kickstand and touch keyboard. To check out the Build Your Best Year game, please Click Here.
How are you doing so far with your New Year’s resolutions?
FYI: I am blogging on behalf of Visa Prepaid and received compensation for my time from Visa for sharing my views in this post, but the views expressed here are solely mine, not Visa’s. Discover more at http://www.VisaPrepaid.com or join the Visa Prepaid community at http://www.facebook.com/