With January through May of 2013 wrapped up, I thought I should probably check in on my New Year’s resolutions again so I will stay on track. So let’s see how we’ve done so far…
New Year’s Resolutions 2013
Here were the goals I set out at the end of 2012 for the new year:
- Pay off the rent house by December 31, 2013. It had about $23,500 to go.
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2012 by April 2013 (needed $8000).
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2013 by December 31, 2013 (needed $11,000).
- Budget appropriately for at least 3 vacations – a one week summer vacation, the Financial Blogger Conference again, and the Board Game Geek Board Gaming Conference again.
- Continue staying active. My specific goal here is to get off my butt at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes all year long. Since I don’t want to be able to fail by just having a bad week, I have decided that this means that I need to exercise a minimum of 12 times per month to stay on track (144 times or more over all of 2013).
Update as of June 1, 2013
Here is where I stand so far:
- We paid off the rent house, yay!
- We maxed out both Roth IRA’s for 2012 earlier this year, woot!
- We have about $7000 set aside for maxing out both Roth IRA’s for 2013. Aiming to have it done by October still.
- Budget appropriately for at least 3 vacations – We added a 5 day cruise to the list that we just paid $560 total for the two of us for that will be in early September. Other than that, I also am helping to organize the Financial Blogger Bootcamp this year, so my cost for that trip won’t include entrance tickets or the hotel room, so I just needed to book my $350 flight and take enough money for food and transportation. I think we’ll need about $2000 total in our vacation account to cover all of our trips this year and we have about $1000 so far…
- Continue staying active. My specific goal here is to get off my butt at least 144 times or more over all of 2013. I did 7 in January, 14 in February, 3 in March, 4 times in April, and 20 times in May (best so far, yay!). That’s 48 times so far, so I am still behind but catching up. There are about 212 days left, so I just need to fit in about 14 times every months to catch up. 🙂
Okay, so that means that I’ve still only completed 2 of 5 of our resolutions so far, and I am more than half of the way there for 2 of the other goals. Plus, I have started picking up momentum on exercising, so yay!!!
Our plan is to continue funneling the majority of our extra monthly money from rent and great months towards the Roth IRA’s and a little to the vacation account until both of those goals are completed. I also will keep pushing myself to exercise daily or as close to daily as I can get. 🙂
How are you doing so far with your New Year’s resolutions?
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $80,000-$100,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). I even have all of my favorite tools on a resource page - I hope they help you too. Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!