With January through July of 2013 wrapped up, I thought I should probably check in on my New Year’s resolutions again so I will stay on track. So let’s see how we’ve done so far…
New Year’s Resolutions 2013
Here were the goals I set out at the end of 2012 for the new year:
- Pay off the rent house by December 31, 2013. It had about $23,500 to go.
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2012 by April 2013 (needed $8000).
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2013 by December 31, 2013 (needed $11,000).
- Budget appropriately for at least 3 vacations – a one week summer vacation, the Financial Blogger Conference again, and the Board Game Geek Board Gaming Conference again.
- Continue staying active. My specific goal here is to get off my butt at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes all year long. Since I don’t want to be able to fail by just having a bad week, I have decided that this means that I need to exercise a minimum of 12 times per month to stay on track (144 times or more over all of 2013).
Update as of August 7, 2013
Here is where I stand so far:
1. We paid off the rent house, yay!
2. We maxed out both Roth IRA’s for 2012 earlier this year, woot!
3. We fully funded my 2013 Roth IRA in June!
And we have about $4300 set aside for maxing out hubby’s.
We’re aiming to have the cash set aside by the end of October, BUT then we have to decide whether to actually fund the Roth IRA or save it as investment cash to help us buy another rental property next year.
4. Budget appropriately for at least 3 vacations…
Our 5 day cruise is from August 31 through September 5. We already paid $560 total for the two of us for those tickets, but we’ll need another $500-$1000 in cash for the excursions and random stuff for that trip.
For FinCon, I am helping to organize the Financial Blogger Bootcamp this year, so my cost for that trip won’t include entrance tickets or the hotel room. I already booked my $350 flight and will take enough money for food and transportation. We also already paid our entry fees for the Board Game Geek convention and have the hotel reserved.
We rolled a lot of these costs into our monthly budget as entertainment costs, but we are hoping to set aside $2000 in actual cash to reimburse ourselves by the end of the year.
5. Continue staying active. My specific goal here is to get off my butt at least 144 times or more over all of 2013.
Here is what I did so far:
- 7 in January
- 14 in February
- 3 in March
- 4 times in April
- 20 times in May
- 18 times in June
- 25 times in July
That’s 91 times so far, so I am finally on track again! Yay for an active summer! There are about 5 months left, so I just need to fit in about 11 times every month to hit this goal, yay! 🙂
Okay, so that means that I’ve completed 2.5 of 5 of our resolutions so far, and can still accomplish the other 2.5, yay!
Our plan is to continue funneling the majority of our extra monthly money from rent and great months towards the Roth IRA’s and a little to the vacation account until both of those goals are completed. I will also keep pushing myself to exercise daily or as close to daily as I can get. 🙂
How are you doing so far with your New Year’s resolutions?
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $70,000-$90,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!