With January through September 2013 wrapped up, I thought I should probably check in on my New Year’s resolutions again so I will stay on track. So let’s see how we’ve done so far…
New Year’s Resolutions 2013
Here were the goals I set out at the end of 2012 for the new year:
- Pay off the rent house by December 31, 2013. It had about $23,500 to go.
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2012 by April 2013 (needed $8000).
- Max out both Roth IRA’s for 2013 by December 31, 2013 (needed $11,000).
- Budget appropriately for at least 3 vacations – a one week summer vacation, the Financial Blogger Conference again, and the Board Game Geek Board Gaming Conference again.
- Continue staying active. My specific goal here is to get off my butt at least 3 times a week for at least 30 minutes all year long. Since I don’t want to be able to fail by just having a bad week, I have decided that this means that I need to exercise a minimum of 12 times per month to stay on track (144 times or more over all of 2013).
Update as of October 2, 2013
Here is where I stand so far:
1. We paid off the rent house, yay!
2. We maxed out both Roth IRA’s for 2012 earlier this year, woot!
3. We fully funded my 2013 Roth IRA in June AND WE FULLY FUNDED HUBBY’S IN SEPTEMBER despite zeroing out our emergency fund for dental expenses!
BUT, this means that we only have a couple of month’s of padding left in cash, we are working on restoring the $10,000 emergency fund by the beginning of next year now.
4. Budget appropriately for at least 3 vacations…
- Our 5 day cruise was from August 31 through September 5 and we kept the total to about $1000. *ONE DOWN*
- I visited Salt Lake City, Utah from September 19-24 and kept the entire trip to about $350 including the plane ticket. *TWO DOWN UNEXPECTEDLY*
- I am helping to organize the Financial Blogger Bootcamp this year at FinCon13, so my cost for that trip won’t include entrance tickets or the hotel room. I already booked and paid for my $350 flight, and will take about $150 for food and transportation while I am in St. Louis from October 15-20.
- We also already paid our entry fees for the Board Game Geek convention and have the hotel reserved. We are hoping to stay at $600 or less for that trip too from November 20-24.
We rolled a lot of these costs into our monthly budget as entertainment costs, but we are hoping to set aside $2500 in actual cash to reimburse ourselves by the end of the year. We’ll see if that happens or if we just stole this from ourselves…
5. Continue staying active. My specific goal here is to get off my butt at least 144 times or more over all of 2013.
Here is what I did so far:
- 7 in January
- 14 in February
- 3 in March
- 4 times in April
- 20 times in May
- 18 times in June
- 25 times in July
- 11 times in August
- 9 times in September
That’s 111 times so far, so yay for an active summer! There are about 3 months left, so I just need to fit in about 11 times every month to hit this goal, yay! 🙂
Results So Far (And an Extra Resolution)
Okay, so that means that I’ve fully completed 3 of 5 resolutions so far, and am on track to actually be able to complete the last 2 fully for sure! I think I will add “getting our emergency fund back up to $10,000” as a last minute resolution since that will push me to save like crazy for these last 3 months! This may be the first year ever that I actually complete ALL OF MY RESOLUTIONS!!! How awesome would that be?! Now I need to go find some real wood to knock on…
How are you doing so far with your New Year’s resolutions?
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $80,000-$100,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). I even have all of my favorite tools on a resource page - I hope they help you too. Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!