It has been a heck of a month! Long story short, I now have more than 90 client sites for my advertising business and had a record month. Thank you all for supporting me just by tuning in!!!
I wanted to blog full time by 2012. To reach that goal, I thought I needed a bunch of traffic on all of my blogs. Specifically, I was aiming for 25,000 unique visitors a month at BFS by August 2011 and needed to be making $30,000 a year total by 2012.
Well, there was a change of plans. I literally got too busy with my online work to keep my day job, so I quit as of July 15th, 2011! Self-employment is rocking so far!
I figured the best way to keep my eye on the prize is to hit monthly targets, so I started posting here. Between that and the fact there seems to be major interest in the subject, I started an update around the 1st of every month of my blogging stats and income generated. I’ll also do a huge 1 year update at the beginning of every January.
Here were my goals for October 2011 followed by the results:
- Alexa Ranking: 31,000 / 32,123 (Oh well…)
- Visits: 13,500 / 17,681 (woot!)
- Unique Visitors: 10,000 / 13,671 (double woot!)
- Pageviews: 25,000 / 28,534 (yay!)
- RSS subscribers: 750 /732 (close enough, lol)
- Twitter followers: 850 /891 (woot again!)
- Traffic breakdown: 4500 from Referring Sites (6836), 2500 from Direct Traffic (2852), 5500 from Search Engines (7091), 1000 from Other (902)
- Blogging Income: $6000 / $18,713.19 (HELLS YEAH!!!)
Monthly Income Breakdown
- Advertising on My Blogs (70% from BFS): $6414.62
- Writing (Staff Writing and Freelance Posts): $510.00
- Blogging Services (Running advertising on other sites and freelance tasks): $11,788.57
I had $3218.66 in expenses as well since I had to pay $903.51 in Paypal fees, I did buy Richly Reasonable and Go Be Rich, and I had my basic expenses as well. If you’d like to see my exact blogging expenses breakdown, check out How I Make Money Blogging. I have been attempting to keep them at 15% or less of my overall income. That said, my net profit this month before taxes was $15,494.53.
Seeing that I hit my self-employment goal much earlier than expected, I am now making goals to get my traffic up and my income stabilized. I hit my traffic goals, but I will still be focusing on content since BFS keeps me sane. BUT SUPER, HOLY MOLY, COWABUNGA WOOT for more than $18,000!!!
In the meantime, I am paying myself $3575 a month (a third of that goes to taxes…), so I better darn well keep bringing in at least that. The extra money is divided up with 35% going to our mortgage, 25% going towards investments, 20% going to our vacation account, and 10% going to each of our fun money accounts.
My goals for November:
- Alexa Ranking: 31,000
- Visits: 19,000
- Unique Visitors: 15,000
- Pageviews: 30,000
- RSS subscribers: 800
- Twitter followers: 1000
- Traffic breakdown: 7000 from Referring Sites, 3000 from Direct Traffic, 8000 from Search Engines, 1000 from Other
- Blogging Income: $10,000
Any questions, comments, or advice? As I mentioned, I go into more detail with my income and expenses on the 1st of the month at http://howimakemoneyblogging.com/, but feel free to ask anything you’d like at either site!!!