I mentioned our first hosted Thanksgiving dinner last week and promised that I’d share the recipe to Aunt Barbara’s Sausage Cornbread dressing. It can also be sausage cornbread stuffing if you decide to put it in your bird. We did both. Here’s my rundown of my personal crack.
Aunt Barbara’s Sausage Cornbread Dressing
- ½ Loaf of day old Bread, torn into pieces (50 cents)
- 4 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix ($2.00 on sale)
- 3 Eggs (50 cents)
- 1 Onion (25 cents)
- 2 Cups Celery, diced ($1.00)
- 2 Sticks Butter ($1.50)
- 5 Cans Cream of Celery Soup ($6.00)
- 1-2 Pounds Jimmy Dean Sausage (we went with 2 for $8.00)
- 8 Ounces White Mushrooms, diced ($3.50)
- 48 Ounces Chicken Broth ($2.00)
- 2 teaspoons Sage (25 cents)
- 1 Tablespoon Poultry Seasoning (25 cents)
- ½ teaspoon Salt ($negligible)
- 1 teaspoon Pepper ($negligible)
- Total Cost – $21.75-$25.75 for two 9″x13″ pans
1. Preheat Oven to 350° F and TAKE OFF RINGS and WATCHES – trust me.
2. Cook Cornbread per directions on box. Let Cool.
3. Brown Sausage, drain, let cool.
4. Crumble Bread and Cornbread into a large mixing bowl. Mix together well with the dry seasonings.
5. Saute Onion, Celery, and Mushrooms in Butter until Onions are translucent.
6. Mix Chicken Broth, Eggs, and the Onion mixture above together in a different large bowl.
7. Combine Breads, Liquids, and Sausage together and stir until evenly mixed. You will need to use the biggest pot you have, lol.
8. Pour into two 9×13 aluminum pans.
9. Bake in oven for 60 – 90 min until the edges are browing and it isn’t sloppy anymore. We actually left it in for about 10 minutes too long as you can see from the pic below, but it was still very yummy.
10. Let cool for 10 min before serving.
Hope you all like it as much as I do!
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 per year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $70,000-$90,000 through blogging, professional pet sitting, hubby's reffing, and our rental home. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you, PLUS a free custom header banner from me!). Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!