It’s 2:30am on April 3rd, 2014 and this will be posting in 2.5 hours…THEN:
- 6am – waking up to take care of two cats
- 10am – walking and feeding two dogs
- 11am – drive to my grandparent’s for lunch with my cousins
- 2pm - the two cats are being picked up thanks to my awesome roommates
- 9pm – meeting with a client to schedule her Easter weekend pet sitting
- 10pm – walk the same two dogs again as I did at 10am
I should be asleep, but I just got in bed 20 minutes ago since I had to walk some dogs at 11pm, take a shower, then answer some urgent emails for my online business, update my records for pet sitting for 2014′s taxes, and finally, I wanted to write this post while I was still buzzing with adrenaline.
Today’s schedule is one of the busiest of the last month or so, but every day has had something. I’ve been physically exhausted, but mentally, I’m pumped! I forgot how much I love making new business ideas work! I’m getting more done online even though I have way less time than for the last year or so. I’m like that - I’m at my best when I am extremely busy. Woot!!!
Proof that Hobby Jobs Can Make Money
For the disbelievers out there, side hustles can make you good money fast (check out my top 10 tips here). I started Crystal’s Cozy Care Pet Sitting by posting on Craigslist and getting my first job on February 27. I made $1125 by March 27. Now, a week later, the total is around $1320!
So far, it has cost:
- $60 in gas so far thanks to making 30mpg and having close gigs
- $44 in advertising ($20 for business cards and $24 for car magnet signs) – Thanks to my friend, J, for the free, super awesome design below!!!
- $8 in extras like a poop bag dispenser with bags and a small bag of treats
That brings the NET TOTAL to $1208 in about 5 weeks!!! And I have $120 lined up for the next week.
Right now, I am using a pet sitting release-of-liability contract to cover my butt (along with a healthy dose of common sense), but my pet sitting insurance is going to take a $300 bite out of my earnings next week. It’ll be worth it to be able to advertise that I’m bonded and insured.
Taxes will also take their bite in April 2015, which is why I am on the ball with recording my mileage, costs, income, etc. BUT, I’m just really happy that my chosen side hustle is taking off, forces me to exercise, and is helping animals have a less stressful time when their owners are away. In-their-home pet sitting seems better for everyone involved.
As you may have noticed with my online business, I have turned a side hustle into real money before. I just wasn’t 100% sure that it wasn’t a one-time thing. I’m unexplainably exuberant about my successful entrepreneurial spirit…I feel like it’s a family heirloom that has been passed down the generations and I’m just happy it’s in me too. :-) My great-grandparents – the bakers, the butchers, and the pelt sellers before them – would all be proud…well, at least that is what I’m feeling right now.
Please share all of your side hustle stories below! Anybody else find a fun way of making $1000+ a month on the side? Please share!