As you may have been able to tell from all of my food posts and recipes, I like easy dishes the best. So when my younger sister was nice enough to show me how to make scalloped potatoes in less than 15 minutes for our little dinner for two, I was all over it!
Ambi’s Scalloped Potatoes
- Large potato – less than $1
- Milk (1-2 cups max) – less than 50 cents
- Flour (two handfuls) – less than 50 cents
- Olive oil (drizzle) – less than 50 cents
- Salt to taste – negligible
- Pepper to taste – negligible
- Garlic to taste – negligible
- Total Cost = About $2.00
1. Slice the potato thinly so they will cook quickly.
2. Spread out potatoes in a frying pan (we used our 12 inch nonstick sauté pan). Fill the very bottom of the pan with milk while the heat is on high. Drizzle the top of the potato slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat to medium when you see the first bubbles after a little more than a minute or two (milk heats fast).
3. After about 5 minutes you will notice most of the milk has boiled down. Turn the heat up again, add some more milk, and sprinkle one to two handfuls of flour on top. Lightly stir the flour and potato slices into the milk to thicken the milk. Then turn the heat to medium again.
4. In about another 5 minutes, test a potato slice to make sure they are nearly cooked. Sprinkle some garlic to taste at this point and let simmer for another minute or so.
5. Enjoy! When we did this on Monday with just one large potato, we ended up with 4 servings. It covered dinner for the both of us and a healthy leftover portion for my lunch the next day.
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 a year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $80,000-$100,000 through blogging, a rental home, and professional pet sitting. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you). I even have all of my favorite tools on a resource page - I hope they help you too. This all gives me the time to be with my aging family members, the flexibility to stay close with my friends and family, and it should help if we finally get pregnant too! Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!