My friend, Dee, is a very dedicated middle school art teacher. She approached me a few weeks ago about being a speaker at their upcoming “Career Day” in early March. It sounds like a great idea, so now I have to come up with a 30 minute presentation about my career. I’ve done something similar for #FinCon12, so hopefully I just won’t crack in front of middle schoolers. Here’s what I need to cover.
Points I’ve Been Asked to Cover
- My title.
- Length of time in my position.
- Training, education, or background needed for my job.
- Three important duties of my job.
- Whether or not I wear a uniform.
- Talk about equipment or tools needed for my job.
- What do I like most about what I do.
- What kind of benefits I get (like insurance, traveling, etc.).
- What’s one thing that I would like to change.
- A funny or unusual story about my job.
- What other job I could get with my training/experience.
My Presentation So Far
I am creating a PowerPoint presentation that includes the points above. I’m also highlighting a few general pros and cons of self-employment. For example, you have to find your own insurance, pay more in taxes, and deal with income instability. But I also get to point out the flexibility, sense of empowerment, and working in your pajamas all day kicks butt. As the personal finance geek that you all know, I’m also making sure to include a huge section about the importance of diversification and paying attention to their futures.
What else should I include? From a kid’s point of view, what should I talk about? From a parent’s point of view, what would you hope I highlight?