Someone asked me if I missed having a “real” day job last week. Honestly, there are things I miss about it, but those are heavily outweighed by the things I don’t miss at all.
Benefits I Miss About My Last Cubicle Job:
- Better health and dental insurance – cost less and covered more.
- Cheaper term life insurance.
- My 401k with 100% matching up to 6%.
- Stability – I knew I had a job as long as I wanted it where I was.
- The fantasy football league that I kept winning despite not caring about football at all – that was always fun.
Things That I Don’t Miss At All:
- Commuting – that by itself makes working from home worth it.
- Being treated like an actual “human resource” – an entity instead of a person – by the company’s leaders.
- Making $35,000 a year before taxes. I know now that I can make more than that in several ways by working for myself.
- Stupid meetings – what a waste of time.
- Business jargon. I just shook my head and laughed to myself when the management would call everyone together for stupid meetings and spout off business jargon left and right that didn’t have a point. Along those lines, here’s an infographic that made me laugh.
What do you think you would miss or do miss about a classic day job? What do you like or think you would like about self-employment?