Someone asked me if I missed having a “real” day job last week. Honestly, there are things I miss about it, but those are heavily outweighed by the things I don’t miss at all.
Benefits I Miss About My Last Cubicle Job:
- Better health and dental insurance – cost less and covered more.
- Cheaper term life insurance.
- My 401k with 100% matching up to 6%.
- Stability – I knew I had a job as long as I wanted it where I was.
- The fantasy football league that I kept winning despite not caring about football at all – that was always fun.
Things That I Don’t Miss At All:
- Commuting – that by itself makes working from home worth it.
- Being treated like an actual “human resource” – an entity instead of a person – by the company’s leaders.
- Making $35,000 a year before taxes. I know now that I can make more than that in several ways by working for myself.
- Stupid meetings – what a waste of time.
- Business jargon. I just shook my head and laughed to myself when the management would call everyone together for stupid meetings and spout off business jargon left and right that didn’t have a point. Along those lines, here’s an infographic that made me laugh.
What do you think you would miss or do miss about a classic day job? What do you like or think you would like about self-employment?
FYI: I worked at a dead end cubicle job from 2005-2011 for about $30,000 a year. I went self-employed in July 2011 and make between $80,000-$100,000 through blogging, a rental home, and professional pet sitting. If you’d like to start your own site (link to my free step-by-step guide), I highly suggest checking out Bluehost (my referral link with a nice discount for you). I even have all of my favorite tools on a resource page - I hope they help you too. This all gives me the time to be with my aging family members, the flexibility to stay close with my friends and family, and it should help if we finally get pregnant too! Please contact me any time at budgetingfunstuff*at*gmail*dot*com with questions or just to brainstorm! I’d love to help!