I mentioned yesterday that I would be investing in pet sitting insurance soon to protect me from general crud that could happen with my new side hustle – Crystal’s Cozy Care Pet Sitting. Making extra money wouldn’t mean much if I ever get sued and lose based on something my pet sitting fur-clients did while under my care.
I ended up choosing a policy through Pet Sitters Associates, LLC. Here’s a quick breakdown of the coverage:
- $1,000,000 per occurrence, up to $2,000,000 annually for bodily injury, property damage, personal injury, advertising injury, products, and completed operations
- $100,000 annually for fire damage
- $15,000 per occurrence, up to $30,000 annually for pets lost, stolen, injured, or killed in your care
- $1,000 per occurrence, up to $5,000 annually for vet expenses regardless of negligence
- $2,000 annually for lost keys and re-keying of customers homes
- $5,000 annually for medical expenses
- $10,000 per occurrence, up to $25,000 annually, for the theft, breakage, and mysterious disappearance of the personal property of the pet owner while under the care of you, your employees, your independent contractors, or your incidental helpers.
No deductible for claims, EXCEPT $500 per incident if you purposely took an unleashed animal to a dog park or outdoors unless it’s in the pet owner’s or pet sitter’s yard with an above ground fence that will keep pets inside and people/animals outside.
Does the pet insurance cover your liability if the dog bites someone or runs in the street and causes a car accident or does it cover death and illness of a pet? If the pet has to go to the vet, you might have to pay if the owner refuses to reimburse you. If the pet dies the owner may want compensation from you.
In short – yes, all of that is covered. :-)
Here was the breakdown of the costs for coverage from April 3, 2014 for one year:
- Basic Insurance – $185
- Special Property Coverage (that $10,000 property coverage was extra but I’m clutzy sometimes) – $100
- Processing Fee – $10
- Listing Fee to be in their search database of pet sitters – $10
- Total = $305
Totally worth the peace of mind for me and my clients! And it looks good to be able to show and state that I’m insured. :-)