I was looking at other ways to grow my side hustle, Crystal’s Cozy Care Pet Sitting, and came across Care.com. I decided to try the free version, spent a few hours over a few days to create a solid profile, and splurged $10 on a background check. Now I am slightly worried. Here is what I’ve heard so far…
Care.com Feedback from Others
- One of my current pet sitting gigs is with a lady that tried to find help through Care.com, but she found out AFTER submitting her needs that if you don’t join all the way for $40 a month, you can’t reply to anybody’s applications or see their contact details. She only needed one visit on one day (a $25 job), so paying $40 upfront just wouldn’t make sense for her. That means that everyone I’ve answered on their site so far couldn’t even get back to me if they wanted to if they aren’t fully subscribed – even if I was! So I am really happy that I didn’t pay $40 a month myself. None of this would annoy me if Care.com would have explained that before I spent about 8 hours trying to create a great profile page. I had to go to one small part of their FAQ’s after the fact to find that fun fact. I’m glad this lady found me on Craigslist instead. 🙂
- The comments on this review scared the poop out of me. They span from 2008-April 2014 so far and they all seem to be awful! The ones that worry me the most are the ones that say that they keep getting charged after cancelling. I didn’t pay for their service yet, but they do have my info for the background check.
My Own Experience Over the Last Week
- Parts of my profile, like my picture and references were rejected the first time I tried adding them. But the reasons they stated didn’t make any sense. For example, I was trying to use the picture that is in my right sidebar right now (just me sitting down) and they said it “may not look like you or isn’t a view of just your face”. Or my references “need a full name and phone number” when they had both. So I just deleted what I had and resubmitted the exact same stuff again…then it wasn’t rejected. Weird and a waste of time.
- I keep changing my profile to read that I am a foster parent with SMART Animal Rescue. Yet, it keeps getting changed back to “foster for an animal rescue” without any explanation on their part. Yet they let the sentence about my past volunteer work at the Houston SPCA and Pughearts stay just the way it is…
- No one has replied to any of my dozen applications so far. And now I know it’s because they would have to pay $40 a month or $140 a year to get any of my contact info at all. I’d highly suggest using a search engine to find more info based on what you can see in this situation…
I will be monitoring my credit card for any odd charges. I probably won’t bother to delete my Care.com profile at this point, but I will never upgrade and will remove myself from their emailing list for all the stuff they keep sending me 2-3 times a day.
Even without Care.com, I’ve been busy. I’ve made $1570 so far with 9 different sets of pets (8 of which I’d want to pet sit for again, lol). I have spent $360 total on pet sitting insurance ($305), business cards ($20), car magnets ($25), and a background check ($10). I also have $600 of jobs lined up already for May and June. I actually think I may stop trying so hard to promote Crystal’s Cozy Care and just see what Craigslist continues to do for me. You can check out my tips to starting a service business if you’d like to see how I started this one.
Have you ever heard about or used Care.com? Do you agree that it’s not worth it?